The Advocate

The Student News Site of Forest Grove High School

The Advocate

The Advocate

Don’t Starve: Game Review

Don’t Starve: Game Review

Link To Image

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising survival sandbox game created by the company Klei Entertainment. You’re able to play as many different characters that are locked during the start, so you’re assigned one character during the beginning of the game named Wilson P. Higgsbury, he will be your starter character. The trailer of the game shows our character being persuaded by a mysterious voice that wants to lend some secret knowledge. Before this, he was experimenting with chemicals and failed. Wilson builds a machine blindly and doesn’t have any doubts until the very end, being betrayed he ends up in The Constant, the world of Don’t Starve. You can unlock characters by doing specific tasks or surviving for a long period of time. Starting a new world your goal is to not die and survive an infinite amount of days. At least, that’s what happens when you don’t unlock and do adventure mode.

Adventure mode can be found by assembling portal pieces together to send yourself down a couple of stages; going down an extremely cold variant of the world you live in, or having to navigate through the dark. Your end goal is to explore through the adventure mode variants and assemble a portal to progress further down to take on further challenges. While playing Don’t Starve, you don’t only have to monitor your hunger, you need to be wary of other things too, such as; Health, Sanity, Temperature, Shelter, Hound Waves, Elements, Seasons, Creatures, and Monsters, Darkness, and many other things. Don’t Starve isn’t just stuffing your face with food, you actively have to survive whilst adapting and overcoming many opposing these new threats. You can build weapons, armor, a crockpot for manufacturing better foods, science stations that help you unlock more crafting recipes, and a bunch of other inventions you can use. Dying in adventure mode sends you back out of the portal to the original world you started off with. The same voice who brought Wilson into the world of The Constant is also this land’s ruler named Maxwell, who both monitors and taunts the player, preventing us from going any further and trying to leave this plane of existence. Once you venture far enough through the portals in adventure mode and don’t die, you reach a final level and find Maxwell lying slouched on his throne. You can choose to free him or reside with him because no matter how hard you try you cannot leave the level you’re stuck in. You can insert a specific item acting as a key into a slot and unshackle Maxwell from his throne but as soon as you do so, he begins screaming and decomposing into a pile of bones then ashes as the throne claims you.

Don’t Starve has many DLC’s and a completely different multiplayer version of the game where there’s far more content compared to basic Don’t Starve. It’s very unique with its combination of 2D and 3D gameplay with a bunch of catchy passive in-game music and a wonderful ambiance. It is extremely different compared to most other survival games having you survive long term and giving you a bunch of variety and stuff for playing the game.