The Advocate

The Student News Site of Forest Grove High School

The Advocate

The Advocate

Becky G
Becky G
April 15, 2024

The Threat of Greater Idaho

Link to image

America’s state lines have become such a constant throughout time, that maps of state outlines have become iconic imagery that is quintessentially American. Knowing America as a place with fluid boundaries is a memory only those born before the start of the 19th century could have experienced… but a movement on the rise in eastern Oregon may change everything. The Greater Idaho movement started by Mike McCarter in 2020 is a proposal to change the state lines of Oregon so that the Western Idaho border extends to include areas now known as Eastern Oregon. The exact, proposed new borders, are varied among sources, but some show this border is extending as far as Bend and Southern portions even down into California.  

Through founders and supporters of this movement, Dennis Linthicum had brought this proposal to the senate and 12 counties voted in favor of promoting the cause. The reality of a real vote happening is extremely slim, but we can’t dismiss it. Oregon has been a blue state since 1988, however, the only blue counties reside in the Western portion while all the other counties are red. The sentiment of the Greater Idaho movement is that members who predominantly reside in Eastern Oregon believe it needs to be saved from the liberal policies of an overall blue state.      

Idaho is nothing like Oregon, and Oregon is nothing like Idaho, there are significant distinctions that exist between Idaho and Oregon. For instance, in rural Oregon counties, the minimum wage stands at $12.50, whereas in Idaho, it remains at $7.25. Marijuana enjoys legal status in Oregon, whereas possession can lead to incarceration in Idaho. Furthermore, Idaho enforces strict anti-abortion laws, while Oregon has taken proactive steps, such as stockpiling mifepristone, a medication used for medical abortions, under the leadership of Governor Tina Kotek. And having an abundance of reproduction laws in place keeping abortion legal in Oregon. Although specific plans to address these disparities under the Greater Idaho Movement are lacking, McCaw asserted that resolving these “issues” is feasible with proper effort and planning. Their policies promise a future that will make rural Oregonians happier; they say becoming part of Idaho will improve elections, give them republican representatives, and make their conservative policies. They could get rid of restrictive gun laws, improve test scores, and lower crime rates.

But they also have intentions that go deeper than the “less regulations” face they put on. They claim to fix “men in girls sports leagues” but we all know they mean excluding trans athletes from the leagues their identity fits with. McCarter has a problem with critical race theory and claims Oregon is a sanctuary state for illegal immigrants and claims they get free healthcare. “Illegals” do not have free healthcare in Oregon like the website claims, nor is it an “illegals sanctuary state.” Nowhere in the U.S. is a sanctuary state for immigrants. Legal or illegal. You can apply for free healthcare no matter your legal status in Oregon and you don’t need to show citizenship to get a driver’s license, it is a debate in and of itself ‌but in my opinion, ignoring people’s needs doesn’t make them go back to where they came from. On the same page of this list, they claim “Oregon’s state school curriculum teaches radical theories on race, gender, sexuality, and anti-Americanism.” by definition Critical race theory is an interdisciplinary academic field devoted to analyzing how laws, social and political movements, and media shape, and are shaped by, social conceptions of race and ethnicity. CRT also considers racism to be systemic in various laws and rules, and not only based on individuals’ prejudices. In less big words; CRT is an academic and legal framework that denotes that systemic racism is part of American society. if you can’t learn history and the current day effect of it without being offended, that’s on you, and that’s how you should feel. History is a brutal thing. And that’s why we should teach it as it is. There’s nothing anti-American about knowing the truth, no matter how ugly. Throughout its evolution, the Greater Idaho Movement has gradually unmasked itself as a deceptive offering: seemingly presented as a solution for dissatisfied rural communities, but, in reality, serving as a façade for far-right cultural and political agendas, including those rooted in racism. 

The movement’s online platform and prominent figures mirror the rhetoric popularized during Trump’s time in office, often employing derogatory language such as “illegals” to describe certain groups of people. The people supporting this movement are not people we want to give Oregon to. Articles on the anti-immigrant website VDARE also promoted it. One supporting post said Greater Idaho “would free eastern Oregonians from the anti-white, totalitarian leftists who rule the state.” A video warned that Oregon “won’t protect its residents from thugs, illegal aliens, communist rioters and other undesirables.” 

This movement poses a threat to politics, too. Creating a new state entails new political institutions, which can lead to chaos. The process of setting different laws, regulations, and governance can be dismaying and lead to political instability. America’s strengths lie in its pluralism- the coexistence of different cultures, beliefs, and perspectives in one place. The greater Idaho movement, by promoting secessionist tendencies, contradicts this very principle. But many argue it could be good because of the economic bonuses of joining Idaho, housing and taxes could become cheaper, and because many don’t want to associate with urbanite Portland. But even with that, the greater Idaho movement and its supporters represent a step backward in pursuing a united America. Instead of focusing on the division of West and East, we must find common ground, foster understanding, and appreciate the diversity of our communities. We can address regional grievances without sacrificing the unity that defines America. We cannot give beautiful rural Oregon to Idaho or Mike McCarter

View Comments (3)