Sports: Cross Country

Ellie Schnorr, Sports Editor

Cross country is one of Forest Grove High School’s many fall sports! It is a sport that perfectly balances the team and individual aspects that make athletics so enjoyable. It is largely based on individual work ethic and success, but teams compete against each other and score points based off individual finishes.

In the past few years, we have had huge success. The girls have been district champions the last two years and have qualified for state the last four years. The boys have been district champions the past 3 out of four years and this past year had a runner place third at the state meet. We cannot wait to see what this season has in store for us!

Our coach, Adrian Shipley, took over the program two years ago and has already developed the strongest girls team in Forest Grove history. The boys team is also producing top state finishes. We are always looking for new runners and growing our already amazing team.

Our team is based on hard work, inclusion, and fun. Running is a difficult thing to do no matter the speed you are going. But that is what makes our team so supportive and inclusive. We accept all levels of runners and always have many first time runners join every year. Watching new runners compete and grow as athletes is one of the best parts of cross country. Our team’s main goal is personal improvement. We celebrate all improvements and our goal is for all to end the season a better runner than when they started.
We have summer base training and camps. These are great opportunities to get a feel for the team and get some training in before the season begins.  Listen to announcements for dates and times. This fall season is going to be a great one, and we would like more to be a part of our special team!