Senior Athlete Interviews: Spring Sports Edition

Maggie Hatt, Editor in Chief

As the spring sports season comes to an end, and seniors’ high school sports (and academic) careers are complete, it is interesting to hear about the highlights of their last season as a Viking. Below are responses from some of our senior athletes about their favorite moments from this season and what they plan to do next year.

GOLF

• Megan Buehler
    • Post high school plans: Attend University of Oregon
    • Favorite part of your high school golf career: “Making it to regionals with my amazing team!!”
  • Henry Sprueill
    • Post high school plans: Attend Oregon State University for mechanical engineering
    • Favorite part of your high school golf career: “Being part of a team.”
    • Anything else you want to share about this season? “I did not join the golf team until two practices before districts.”

SOFTBALL

• Delaney Aleshire
    • Post high school plans: Attend the Honors College at Oregon State
    • Favorite part of your high school softball career: “Either getting to the playoffs all four years in HS or the relationships I’ve made through the sport.”
  • Vanessa Gonzalez
    • Post high school plans: Attend Linfield College
    • Favorite part of your high school softball career: “Making playoffs all four years.”
  • Emma Calouri
    • Post high school plans: Attend Western Oregon University
    • Favorite part of your high school softball career: “Beating West Albany in 10 innings.”

TRACK & FIELD

• Jarrett Van Dyke
    • Post high school plans: Attend the United States Air Force Academy
    • Favorite part of your high school track career: “Trying all types of events, especially jumping.”
  • JT Duncan
    • Post high school plans: Attend Pacific University to study creative writing
    • Favorite part of your high school track career: “My favorite part was definitely spending time with the other hurdlers and our hurdle coach, Restuccia. I also never thought I would ever do hurdles, but I did, and I’m so glad. Although racing is still something I don’t necessarily enjoy, I loved just going over a hurdle and spending time with other hurdlers.”
    • Anything else you want to share about this season? “At districts, I made it to finals for the 110, but unfortunately didn’t make it for the 300. Although I didn’t qualify for that event, I was fine. I think I found a new energy and feeling that stayed within a comfort of having fun, doing well, and being okay—with just everything. I did PR in my 110 HH final race, which was nice—a nice way to end the season—but I think what was more nice and more important was how I PR’d mentally. I finally could enjoy something I hadn’t done for a long time. And that was nice.”
  • Hannah Berdahl
    • Post high school plans: Attend Pacific University for a degree in education
    • Favorite thing about your high school track career: In track and field I was elected as a captain and was able to lead a team of people that were the most polite and showed the best sportsmanship out of every school in our league. It was an honor!

TENNIS

• Jacqueline Frawley
    • Post high school plans: Going to Oregon State to study chemical engineering.
    • Favorite part of your high school tennis career: “My favorite part was probably bonding with coaches and teammates. Practices and matches were competitive, but our amazing team also made everything positive and enjoyable. It was overall an unforgettable experience.”
    • Anything else you want to share about this season? “This season was a great season because I was able to accomplish some personal goals that I set for myself a long time ago, like playing Number 1 singles and doing well in the district tournament.”

LACROSSE

• Vanessa Wright
    • Favorite part of your high school lacrosse career: “Having the opportunity to grow and become better.”
    • Anything else you want to share about this season? “It was a wonderful season. It has given me the kind of memories that I will look back at and smile about when I’m old.”
  • Gustavo Silva
    • Post high school plans: Attend PCC and become a transfer student after two years.
    • Favorite part of your high school lacrosse career: “Being part of a competitive lacrosse team.”
    • Anything else you want to share about this season? “Trying the sport of lacrosse was a drag at the beginning because I had to learn the different techniques this sport has.”

BASEBALL

• Tanner Mannen
    • Post high school plans: Portland Community College
    • Favorite part about your high school baseball career: “Winning the play-in game versus Grants Pass.”
    • Anything else you want to share about this season? “[We] felt like a real team of people who wanted to play together.”