Special Contribution: Focus on Megan Martinez

Alexandra Delgado-Vasquez, Guest Writer

Alexandra is a member of Ms. Granby’s ELD class. The Advocate will be featuring pieces from ELD students at the high school in as many upcoming editions as we can as students submit materials to us. The piece is completely original, and has not been edited from the final draft Alexandra turned in for her project.

Megan Martinez is a famous Tejana makeup artist. Megan was raised in the South Texas and started doing makeup at the age of 14. She has said, “I’m self taught. I didn’t go to cosmetology school.” In many ways, you wonder why she added that, but it is plausible that she might have said that to let people know that you can make it out of the darkness if you try. Because even though she has a great life as of right now, Megan did not always have the life that she dreamed of. When Megan was younger, she was sexually abused and grew in a very poor environment. Her mother and grandmother kicked her out and eventually she became homeless. On top of that, she was suffering with depression and suicidal thoughts. After a while Megan found an outlet in makeup artistry, which helped straighten up her life in a positive direction.

As life moved on, Megan started proceeding with her passion and dedication towards her makeup artistry. As her career started expanding, she started working for big companies like Teen Vogue and other big companies involving perhaps TV shows, news outlets etc. After a while Megan started growing more and wanted to find a way on not only do her art on a person but as will as produce something for them that would be unique as her makeup art. Evidently as her thoughts kept expanding, those thoughts were all true and Megan Martinez made her own company makeup line. She is most known for her powder. Full pressed powder highlighter is one of her greatest success as far the selling goes. Megan Martinez cosmetics line is called Chaos Makeup. Megan Martinez has so many inspirations in life. When she was younger, she wanted to help the animals and be a veterinarian but of course she followed her passion for makeup

The reason that I like and look up to Megan Martinez would be the fact that no one really helped her get up to where she is in life. She came from nothing and now she is something. I’m more than sure people doubted her most of time and looked down at her as if she was nothing. Of course, she is not one of the greatest makeup artists yet, but she is getting there with all of her effort and dedication. Megan Martinez is now considered an experienced celebrity makeup artist. I want to do it just like that, because I have support from my parents, but believe me, when people giggle or make facial expressions about how stupid they think something is, it really throws you off. Sometimes it gets to you and then you wonder if it’s even worth it. Finally, I wonder what is it that Megan Martinez will do next. I hope that she eventually owns her own makeup stores and whatever other dreams that she has. Hopefully she perseveres to the fullest.

meganmartinez