The Advocate

The Student News Site of Forest Grove High School

The Advocate

The Advocate

Becky G
Becky G
April 15, 2024

Broken Prince Book Summary

Part One
Broken Prince Book Summary

Link To Image 

Broken Prince is the second book in The Royals series, acclaimed by The New York Times Bestseller young adult fantasy pentalogy by Erin Watt. Broken is a book full of tension, emotion, and plot twists when you least expect it. This book will give you a different perspective on what people go through and different types of human behavior.

Reed has the house to himself, he texts Ella to ask where she is. He goes into his room and sees Brooke naked on his bed. Brooke broke up with Callum weeks ago. However, while Callum and Brooke were still dating, Brooke slept with Reed a couple of times while Reed was either high or drunk. Brooke gets off the bed and seductively runs her finger down his chest. Reed tells her to get out and never come back. He can hear Ella calling his name while coming down the hall. Brooke lays back on the bed and Reed goes to pull her off, when Brooke says, “I’m pregnant, and the baby is yours”. He freezes from the shock. The last time he slept with her was 6 months ago, and she barely has a bump on her stomach now. Ella walks in and sees Reed and Brooke, but he still can’t move or hear what she is saying. She walks out and slams the door, then Reed jumps into action. He hears the motor of her car outside. By the time he gets to the driveway, Ella is gone. Brooke is at the top of the stairs and says she’ll make a deal with him. If he talks Callum into marrying her, she’ll tell everyone the baby is Callum’s and she’ll stay away from Ella. Reed knows the baby isn’t his, but he takes the deal to get Brooke away from Ella.

It’s past midnight and Ella still hasn’t come home. Reed texts her, but his texts are left unread. He looks for her for hours, but can’t find her. It’s 4:30 A.M and Ella should be at the bakery for work. Her boss, Lucy, says she never came in. He goes back home and wakes Easton. Reed tells him that Ella is gone and they start thinking about where she would be. She has 2 grand left out of the 10 grand because she paid Easton’s 8 grand debt. They use the car’s GPS to track Ella to the train station. Reed talks to the ticket lady and she says Ella left hours ago. Easton goes and pays the security guard to see the bus camera. Ella got off at Gainesville, six and a half hours away. They can’t get there in time because she will already be gone again.    Reed knows he has to tell Callum what happened.

Callum has a family meeting in the living room with Reed, Easton, Swayer, and Sebastian. Callum immediately blames Reed for Ella leaving, but Easton says it’s his fault because Ella helped him pay his bookie. Easton apologizes for getting mixed up again and Callum says they’ll deal with it later, for now, he will call his private investigator. Reed thanks Easton for covering for him and Easton tells him he did it for Ella and the fact Callum would get distracted about Brooke and the baby. Reed’s phone alerts a text message from Brooke and hints that Reed should talk to Callum.  He rolls his eyes and goes into Callum’s office. He tells Callum that he should bring Brooke back because it will help Ella to have another woman to talk to when she returns. Callum argues for a bit, but eventually relents and calls Brooke to get her back.

The next day at school, Val goes up to Reed and asks him where Ella is, but he says she is home sick with the flu. Val knows that is not true and says she’ll kick him in the balls if he doesn’t tell her. Reed lies again and Val follows through on her promise. She walks away as his teammate Wade walks with him to the gym. He works himself to pure exhaustion, then goes home and sleeps in Ella’s room. The following days are the same, but Daniel gets in his way and taunts him about Ella. Before Reed punches Daniel, Wade stops them both before they fight. Wade tells Reed he won’t be able to play in tonight’s game because their coach won’t let him if he gets into a fight.

At the game, Reed lines up on the lines, and a player on the opposing team says, “Hear your new sister is so loose it takes two of you Royals to fill her”. Reed snaps and punches him until Wade pulls him off the player. Coach yells at Reed about not having his head in the game, but Reed just goes to the showers and thinks about Ella.

Gideon is sitting in Reed’s room when he gets home from the game. He has been avoiding Gideon’s calls all week and Gideon wants to talk. Gideon tells Reed that he needs to break up with Ella and Reed says he can’t. Gideon reminds him what happened to his ex-girlfriend, he broke her heart and now she is so mad at the world that she can’t see straight. Reed is about to respond when Easton comes in and accuses them of keeping secrets from him and asks if Gideon knows about Brooke. Gideon shrugs and it just makes Easton fume. He storms out and Reed leaves to go to the fight on the docks to let out his aggression.