Becky G
Becky G
April 15, 2024

Super Bowl LVIII

Link to image

Super Bowl LVIII is finally upon us, and the match-up everyone is waiting for is the Kansas City Chiefs vs. the San Fransisco 49ers. Both of these teams were powerhouses in their own separate conferences, however this game will determine who takes it all.

The Cheifs entered the playoffs as the third seed in the AFC division. They played the Dolphins in the first round and won 26-7. This game was below zero so the Chiefs who are used to playing in similar conditions may have had the upper hand because the dolphins are used to that nice Miami weather. They then faced the Buffalo Bills in the second round of the playoffs, which was one of the closest games of the post-season. The Chiefs ended up winning this game 27-24 in a similar fashion to seasons prior. The Bills have now lost three seasons in a row to the Kansas City Chiefs in the playoffs, and only one game they have lost by more than one possession. In the AFC Championship game, the Chiefs faced off against the one-seed Baltimore Ravens. This game was a very low-scoring game compared to the other 2 they had played this post-season with the final score being only 17-10. This game was a defensive battle, but Patrick Mahomes and his boys were able to pull it off.

On the NFC side, the 49ers were the one seed and had a bye in the first round of the playoffs. In the divisional round, they played the Packers and almost lost. They were losing for the entirety of the game until the fourth quarter when they were able to pull it together and bring home the win. Following that week they played in the NFC championship against the Detroit Lions. This Lions team was looking very strong all of the post-season and was looking to be in a good position to win this game until the fourth quarter hit. The Lions were up two possessions going into the fourth quarter of the game and ended up losing 31-34.

While it is hard to base an opinion on who has had a tougher road this season to the position they’re in now, what we can say is that this matchup will be a thrilling watch. In fact, four seasons ago Super Bowl LVIII had the same teams competing! This was an amazing game that came down to the wire and was full of unexpected plays by both teams. However, both team’s rosters have changed tremendously so this game shouldn’t be too familiar of a watch for fans.

If I had to take a guess on who I believe will win the Super Bowl, my guess would be the San Fransisco 49ers. On paper, they are the better well-rounded team with a stout defense and a very strong receiving core on offense, along with the best running back in the league with Christian McCaffrey. Regardless of who wins this matchup, it should be one for the books, I am very excited to watch this game and I wish both teams the best of luck.