Image via Wikimedia Commons
Letter to Newcomers
June 13, 2024
Image via Wikimedia Commons
Advice for Freshmen
June 12, 2024
Image via Wikimedia Commons
Advice to Freshmen
June 12, 2024

Greta Gerwig: Mother of Movies for Young Girls

Greta Celeste Gerwig is an American actress, writer, and director from Sacramento, California. She earned her degree in English and philosophy from Barnard College. Gerwig had intended to be a playwright right off the bat but went down the acting path when she wasn’t admitted to the MFA playwriting programs. She was cast in minor roles in Joe Swanberg’s 2006 film LOL, and Jay and Mark Duplass’ Baghead (2008). Gerwig’s writing career started with her partnership with Joe Swanberg for the film, Hannah Takes the Stairs (2007). Through her helping write and direct a handful of movies, she became recognizable for her role in the rising mumblecore (a subgenre of films that emphasizes low budgets, naturalistic acting, and dialogue over plot) film movement and was often referred to as the “it girl.” After years of co-writing and directing, acting, and having side jobs to get by, Gerwig debuted independently as a director with her film, Lady Bird (2017), a coming-of-age film about a strong-willed and opinionated teenage girl. 

Lady Bird was deemed a cultural phenomenon and an absolute hit when it was released, earning a 100% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes and five Oscar nominations. What was all the hype about this film and director? Unlike most coming-of-age films with an angsty teenager, Lady Bird doesn’t depict the common cliches this genre of films usually depicts like the protagonist blowing things out of proportion, reacting dramatically at minor inconveniences, or saying just the right thing during an intense and dramatic scene. Instead, Lady Bird shows glimpses of Lady Bird’s (also the name of the teenage protagonist) everyday life and the honest and realistic reactions that any teenager would have. Lady Bird doesn’t portray the “queen bee” or relationship drama that coming-of-ages normally depict. It shows the life of a normal teenage girl with normal teenage emotions and portrays total transparency about complicated mother-daughter relationships. For many young women and girls, Lady Bird is a relatable protagonist. 

Gerwig’s famous film adaptation of Little Women is very influential for young women, and the younger generations in general because it explores topics such as female independence, individualism, gender, birth order, class, and social expectations. I’ve always enjoyed that in the book, there is a wide variety of heartwarming and very heartbreaking scenes, which are beautifully translated into the film. 

Gerwig’s most recent film, Barbie, has captivated almost everyone’s attention. Not only are almost all of the characters everyone’s favorite childhood dolls, but it is one of the only films that accurately portrays the differences between being girly and girlhood. Sure, Barbie is the queen of pink, but she also is a doctor, a pilot, an astronaut, and a homeowner. Barbie touched the hearts of many people, especially women, who grew up playing with Barbie dolls and were fed that they were only meant to be housewives and mothers. The film also displays female empowerment as in Barbieland, most jobs and powerful positions are held by women. Barbie teaches anyone to be themselves and to always pursue self-discovery, that there is no “certain way” anyone should look and live their life, and that you don’t have to grow up all the way. 

Currently, as of 2024, Gerwig is working on another book-to-film adaptation of The Chronicles of Narnia for Netflix. She has been studying the books and other works of C.S. Lewis very closely to make the films as magical as the books and the first set of films. She plans to write and direct at least two films for the series, and hopefully, many more femininely influential films in the future.