Country Closing Again

(Photo Credit: Elaine Cromie/New York Times)

Gladys Garcia Vasquez, Writer

According to Statesman journal, the governor, Kate Brown, announced that Oregon would close again to slow down the cases of COVID-19, saying that “The state, like the rest of the country, has seen the coronavirus spread at a rapid rate lately.” 

Kate Brown, Jay Inslee, and Gavin Newsom joined together to make a decision about traveling. If people are coming back from their trip they have to quarantine for 14 days in order to “urge people to avoid all non-essential out-of-state travel.”

The restriction that the Governments put is going to last from November 18 to December 2, which includes Thanksgiving. 

There are restaurants that are still open but the government is mandating that restaurants move to take out only, and gyms are going to be closed by the new restrictions. 

All the places that are going to be closing:

• Indoor pools 
  • Indoor recreational facilities 
  • Museums
  •  Sport courts 
  • Indoor visiting care facilities 

With the groceries and the pharmacy, they are limited to 75% capacity, and some would be required to pick up.

It doesn’t impact schools because some schools have a small amount of students in the classroom and because some are permitting attending in person.

Other limits are:

• Indoor gatherings: there can’t be more than 6 people inside
  • Stores and the mall will be limited to 75% capacity
  • Faith-based gatherings are limited to 25 people indoors but outdoors is 50 people 
  • Businesses are asking the workers to work from home and office close to public 

“With the coronavirus raging out of control and hospitals nearing capacity, state and local leaders are facing once more the gut-wrenching decision of whether to order shutdown.” (Washington  post) Chicago was the first city to announce to stay home on Thursday; On Friday New Mexico announced they are following suit, and Oregon also announced that gyms and sit-down dining is closing, and no more than 6 people in gatherings was announced on Friday.

Some states aren’t trying to have another lockdown after re-opening the state again. Instead, they are having a nighttime curfew, having a strict mask order, the bars closing, and the limit of people gathering is 10. Washington, Oregon, California canceled nonessential traveling this week. In New York City, they are closing public schools.

The Government of Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer, put a restriction to stop the virus from spreading and getting out of control. The United States has 11 million total cases of coronavirus, overwhelming hospitals, mayors, and governors. Oregon, California, Washington State, and Michigan have some measurements and dining in shutdown. In Chicago, a new stay at home has been directed for the people to stay home and not to go out. In Philadelphia, Mayor Jim Kenney made a new rule that they can not have indoor private gatherings. 

On Friday the United States reported 177,000 cases or more, which is a three-day record high.

In conclusion, if you are going out wear a mask, stay 6 feet apart from each other, try to stay home when you don’t need to go out. Think about your health and people’s health, let the virus stop going around affecting people’s health.

Wear a mask.