DECA Club, Offering Business Opportunities for FGHS Students

(Image via Forest Lake DECA)

(Image via Forest Lake DECA)

Thong Nguyen, Feature and Opinion Editor

DECA, or the Distributive Education Clubs of America, is an international club that focuses on business and business-related fields of education. It operates in every state here in the U.S. and in an abundance of different countries worldwide. However, what some students might not realize is that we here at FGHS have our own DECA chapter.

Operated by none other than our very own Jillian Miller, business teacher and mother, who has a very “hands-off” approach to leading the club: “[It’s] very student lead,” says Sebastian Doran (incumbent Chapter President), “but we have a teacher if needed.” Sebastian and other Chapter Officers have been hard at work setting up student-run businesses. Teacher Eats and the Student Store are two great examples. Teacher Eats falls under the “Not for students category” and is more of a service to get good quality food from local restaurants into the hands of teachers, while the Student Store is for students and offers a selection of goods available for FGHS students like basic hygiene products and school supplies. The store even offers official school merchandise, which is high-quality and quite fashionable. It even doesn’t discriminate against sizes, so if you’re getting an Extra Large it would be the same price as a Small.

I also interviewed Chase Moffitt, a DECA member, I asked him about what he liked most about the club, he replied “we were able to create and lead our own businesses.” I also quizzically remarked about why Chase joined DECA in the first place, giving a thoughtful reply, “I joined DECA for business, it always had been a big interest [of] mine.” Chase works for both Teacher Eats and the Student Store, and he plans to continue helping out DECA after graduating from FGHS. Before I left, I asked him what message should I share with the readers of The Advocate, he quipped: “Join DECA.”

DECA has bigger plans than just opening stores, the Chapter is prepping to go to the DECA state conference next year. Officially known as the “State Career Development Conference”, It’s a state-wide competition for DECA Chapters to prepare young students for business and business-related fields. From roleplays to presentations, it has everything an apprentice in business can learn and consume (mentally). Normally, if one Chapter succeeds in the state conference then it gets to go into the national level. If they succeed there, then they get to go international! With trophies to spare every time one wins, think of it as just like any sports tournament. DECA can also allow opportunities for scholarships under business categories, hospitality or finance as an example, and it can help you prepare for your future as leaders in business.

Back to FGHS, this is the first year of our DECA Chapter. As it is with every first-time thing, it isn’t exactly smooth sailing. But that adds to the experience within DECA. The Chapter operates during most school events in FGHS and in the community, having to work within constraints and problems that pop-up on the spot allows for a more unorthodox method towards thinking. Everyone has a job and no matter how minute, it is important to the success of the event. As one failure can be paramount if left unchecked, everyone will help with no questions asked. It’s more like a family than a team. There’s no heated arguments or infighting, it’s just the right mixture of teamwork and stress that makes DECA work. 

When Sebastian and I were about to finish on my interview, I asked him what should people who want to join such a club but are too nervous to act know about the Chapter. He smiled at me, and gave me a simple answer: “Anyone can join DECA, no matter who you are or your experience.”