The March of May for Pay

(Image via Willamette Week)

Dulce Solis Hernandez, Writer

Teachers, the people who provide the next generation with the knowledge they need in order to go on to the next grade, do not get paid enough. Nor do they get paid the amount they deserve. Sometimes it’s even hard to buy groceries or pay the bills. There are also situations where they are the ones having to purchase their students class supplies, which can oftentimes be costly, and result in not having enough money left for the teacher. So, because of this, teachers (and others in support, such as students, parents, etc.) held a walkout Wednesday, May 8th, to take action and show that they want to change and to try to pass the Oregon legislature that would fund a $2 billion education package.

There are quite a few things that our schools do not have enough of, which creates a larger problem when trying to maintain an academic and positive environment for students. One of the demands was to have smaller class sizes. When you’re dealing with a lot of students all at once, the chance of getting to help those who are confused or stuck, whilst having a one on one conversation with that student, isn’t available. It’s stressful and slightly upsetting because as a teacher, you would want to be there for your students and help them figure out what they need help on. But, when you’re in a classroom that is somewhat densely populated, you can’t really get around to everyone without taking up a large portion of the class’s time.

Another demand was to have an increase in school counselors because when there are approximately four counselors that are supposed to help in the mental wellbeing of 400+ students, their schedules are packed. Then, when their schedules are tight, kids’ chances of getting to have a session talking with their counselor only decreases. When that chance is gone, there’s one more student not getting the support they need, due to the lack of accessibility to counselors. While students oftentimes feel more secure talking about their problems with friends, sometimes they need someone else to confide in or someone who they feel is more appropriate to talk to, someone of authority who can help them take action and hopefully solve or improve the situation they’re currently in. But, when that chance to have a conversation with their counselor isn’t available, those students might end up not saying anything or asking for help, which can cause the problem to get worse.

This is a big step in progressing to provide public schools in Oregon with the proper educational services students deserve. All of those who are in support of passing the legislation are taking a step in the right direction in helping our next generation with the proper scholastic material and funding.