A Letter to the Class of 2019

(Image via Etsy)

(Image via Etsy)

Micaela Gaither, Writer

Dear Class of 2019,

At the beginning of this school year, I told myself that befriending seniors would only have a sad end. So I promised myself I wouldn’t befriend any seniors. Simple enough, I had thought. Within the first few days, I broke that promise to myself.

Assemblies and football games, you could find the seniors with ease. They were the loud ones. The ones with the most spirit. They created the fun, engaging, and exciting environment. Seniors, you have the energy.

Despite the cliche, your age gives you wisdom. You know more about studying, and how to be successful after learning the hard way. You know the school. The teachers. The classes. You also know life. You have been around a few more than me or most others. You have life experience. The amazing thing is you share your wisdom. You don’t horde it all to yourself so that we go through the same mistakes, you tell us and help us.

One of the favorite things I learned from you is procrastination is not the answer. You should get your work done the sooner the better. Even though you say it, you still procrastinate. However, you manage to use your magical senior abilities and get it all done. I admire that about you.

That’s not the only thing I admire. You guys aren’t going to stop working hard once high school is finished. You are gonna go out into the world and go to colleges or go straight to a job.  

You guys are amazing people and I think some of you will impact the world in amazing ways. There will be things you will have to overcome, but you got through 13 years of school, so you got this.

As the end of the school year approaches, you are preparing your departure from Forest Grove High School. You are emailing and sending letters to colleges, and prepping your summer vacations. Whereas I am still a kid and have a few more years and I will soon be in your position.

The halls will be emptier without you. Not physically. We will have new kids join us, but spiritually. Your spirit and personalities will always leave an impression upon the halls of our school.

I said at the beginning how I didn’t wish to befriend any seniors because I didn’t want to lose any great people I had befriended. However, I am happy I met you, Class of 2019. I’m sad to see you go. I didn’t want this sadness, but there were so many good times, so I guess it was worth it.

Class of 2022, 2021, and 2020 are gonna miss you. All of Forest Grove High school is gonna miss you. You made an impact upon this community. You are gonna further impact the world.

On a personal note, I’m gonna miss the section editors of the Advocate that are leaving us at the end of this year. They made the Advocate what it is today.  You guys are all amazing and wonderful.

This is goodbye, Class of 2019. The school year of 2018-2019 was full of good memories. I hope it was a good last year and I wish you good luck as you begin your new adventures out into the world.

Good-Bye Class of 2019,

A Freshman

Class of 2022