Spring Sports Coaches Interview

Maggie Hatt and Sofie Dobberfuhl

With only a few weeks left in the season for our spring sports teams, we wanted to share some of the coaches’ insights about this past season and help you get to know them a little bit better. Whether it’s softball, baseball, lacrosse, tennis, golf, or track and field our Viks have been getting after it this season. Here is what a few of our wonderful coaching staff had to say about their programs and the 2018 season!

Scott Tierney: Boys Lacrosse

How long have you been coaching? Tell us a little bit about your background.

I have been coaching on/off over the past 20 years in both hockey and lacrosse. My lacrosse coaching experience has been the last 5 years, starting with assisting with the Liberty youth team, then Forest Grove’s newer youth program, and now at FGHS. Athletically, my background is deeply rooted in hockey, I played from 5yrs old until I was 20, for travel teams in Canada & Scotland, the Scottish U14 & U16 National team before moving to America.

How has your 2018 season been going? What are some of the highlights?
The 2018 season is going very well. There have been some ups and downs, and plenty of learning experiences along the way. Some of the highlights include starting off the season 2-0, taking the team on a Bend, OR spring break trip where we went 1-1, and the continued growth of all players. An additional highlight as we’ve crossed over the halfway point of the season is we are currently in playoff position and competing to keep that going.

What goals do you have for your team going into next season?
The first goal for next year will be to improve upon what we accomplish this year. Setting the bar higher each year will enable our program to reach the level of success we are ultimately looking for. Our second goal will be to field both a full JV & Varsity team. We have a small number of seniors departing after the season, and the incoming freshman class looks to be large enough to accomplish this goal. Our third goal would be to finish 2nd or 3rd in our conference.

What has improved since last year? What do you attribute that to?
The number one improvement would have to be attitude and leadership. We have an amazing group of senior leaders on this team that help keep the younger teammates on track for the same goal. Similarly, the attitude has improved dramatically, and the team is much more upbeat, positive, and focused on the same goal.

Boys lax will take on Corvallis (5/7) and Hillsboro (5/8) before wrapping up their season at home on May 11th against Aloha.

Adrian Shipley: Track & Field

I have been coaching at Forest Grove High School for 6 years. Before coaching at the High School I competed in Cross Country and Track & Field at FGHS and Pacific University. Coaches have made a great impact on my life and help me develop a lifelong passion for athletics and running. I enjoy the opportunity to try and create a positive impact on student-athletes as my coaches did.

2018 has been an exciting season of Viking Track & Field. We are seeing improvements in all the events and the entire team. We have a great team core that is working hard, being consistent and having a great time. We have had tons of improvements and excellent results so far this season, a few of the highlights are Dominic Funk setting a school record in the Javelin and Hannah Aguirre resetting her 3000 meter school record. Lots of student-athletes are improving and on their way to great results. We look forward many more highlights to come.

The season isn’t over yet! But I would really urge the returning athletes to share their passion, enthusiasm, and joy they have for the sport. This years team has enjoyed consistent hard work which is generating great results and an exciting atmosphere.  

Passion, enthusiasm, and joy for the sport of track & field. More athletes have dedicated themselves to consistent hard work this season and it’s making a positive impact on the whole program. I have to give a shout to the senior class for being supportive and encouraging to the young team on the rise.

The Vikings Track & Field team’s next meet will be the District Championships on May 8th & 10th at West Salem High School.

Abby Coleman: Girls Lacrosse

I have been coaching sports in general for 12 years, but this is my first year coaching lacrosse at FGHS. I played 2 years of high school lacrosse at Sunset High and played 4 years at Pacific University.

Highlights of the season were winning 2 games and improving each week. It has been fun to see the girls grow and learn how to be scrappy and take on challenging teams.

Our goal for next season is to recruit more girls, become competitive within our league, and be able to represent FGHS well.

I cannot speak to most of last year, because I was not coaching, but there has been a huge amount of skill development and increase in athleticism.  The girls seem to have become more of a bonded team.  I attribute that to our upperclassmen demonstrating what it means to be a part of a team on a daily basis.

Girls lacrosse finished their season on April 27th against Bend HS, finishing 2-7 (an improvement from last year’s 0-13 record). 

Katy Carillo: Softball

I was the assistant coach for two years, and this is now my second year of being the head coach. I went to school and played Varsity softball all four years here at Forest Grove High School, then went to Linfield where I played softball for four more years.

Our season has been up and down, with both big wins and tough losses. One of our biggest highlights this year was our win over West Albany in the bottom of the 10th inning. We also had a great game against West Salem where we pulled out the win!

Next season?? That’s still quite a ways out! I suppose that next year I hope to start the season off stronger than we did this year. This season we struggled at the start of league and have had to battle back to get within reach of playoffs.

The team chemistry has improved a ton from last year, and I attribute that to awesome senior leadership and inclusiveness!

Viking Softball will play Liberty on Tuesday, May 8th at 5 PM.