The Advocate

The Student News Site of Forest Grove High School

The Advocate

The Advocate

Self Care

Self+Care

Link to Image

Prioritizing self-care is very important to maintain a healthy work-life balance, manage stress, and keep positive relationships with people in your life. You have to take the time to do things that help you live well to improve both your physical and mental health. It’s essential to your quality of life and affects the way you think, feel, act, and respond to situations. Overall, it can help lower the risk of illness or losing yourself and increase your energy. Leveling up and bettering your self-care can change your life completely in a good way. It’ll bring you peace. There are endless things you can do to better your personal care. 

Starting with physical care, getting at least 8 full hours of sleep. This is the number one key to start strong caring for yourself. If you don’t get enough sleep, you will be unmotivated and lazy the whole day. Getting enough sleep will help you focus more on what you have to do throughout the day, keep you motivated, and boost your productivity. Stretching first thing in the morning when getting up can also benefit self-care. It may seem useless, but honestly will help. Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water throughout the day will get you set for the day. Not skipping meals and eating a little healthier than usual helps nourish your brain and body.

Having good hygiene also plays a big part in improving your self-care. Brushing your teeth, washing your face, and doing your hair in the morning is a necessity. I believe in the saying “If you look good, you feel good.” This may not apply to everyone, but if you give it a try I’m sure you will feel at least a little better about yourself. You don’t have to go all out, but feeling clean will give you a confidence boost to get you motivated to achieve what you need to for the day.

Another major factor in bettering yourself is exercise! It doesn’t matter how much exercise you do, just trying to do at least 20-30 minutes a day can help boost your mood and improve your physical health. Even just walking in a park for a short amount of time can count as your exercise of the day, it’s so simple.

Moving on to mental care, it’s an even bigger necessity in bettering your self-care than physical health. You have to focus on positive things to maintain good self-care or even gain decent self-care, no matter if something in your life is going wrong. You also have to set goals, boundaries, and priorities for yourself to succeed in your mental care. Using affirmations to motivate you and give you peace may be helpful. Meditating, reading, staying a certain amount of time off social media, and positive self-talk are a few other factors that contribute to how your mind and thoughts get you to a higher level of personal care. Getting fresh air each morning also increases your energy and boosts you into a good mood for the day. 

There are many ways you can begin a self-care routine or a bucket list. Start with determining what you enjoy doing and reflect on how you feel each day and why. Practice a certain behavior or activity you want to add to your everyday self-care routine to improve yourself overall and be in a better place. Your self-care is an important activity to do every day. Doing so will lead to a better balance in your wellness and lead toward improved overall health and wellness. Life is precious, and it is meant to be enjoyed.