Forest Grove High School Elected a Unified Champion School

Jenna Knaupp

On September 19th, Forest Grove High School was named, along with 38 others in the country, a National Unified Champion School. How did we achieve this? By meeting the standards of several categories; those categories being: inclusive youth leadership, whole-school engagement, and sustainability. Requirements within these categories range from having an adult coach (for each sport) who has training in Special Olympics Unified Sports, to having club/group meetings at least once per month throughout the school year.

Though each standard is commendable, the standard which impacts me the most is that “students with or without disabilities work to lead advocacy, awareness, [and] inclusion”(Special Olympics, National Standards for High Schools & Middle Schools). Having participated in the Special Olympics Unified Program since middle school, I can attest to the fulfillment of this requirement by FGHS staff and participants. I have witnessed many praiseworthy examples of FGHS Unified participants upholding these standards, and could ramble on forever about the beautiful acts of service, support, and teamwork that I have experienced. The Unified Sports environment is safe and optimistic. The positive coaches, along with their excited participants, create a wonderful community of acceptance, kindness, and friendship. Their welcoming, encouraging attitude at sports’ practices prompts the participants to return to school, spreading their attitude of “awareness [and] inclusion” not only for the Special Olympics Unified Program and individuals with disabilities, but also for Forest Grove High School as a whole. With their confident and accepting attitude, I believe participants of Unified Sports can bring the student body of Forest Grove High School together.

I truly wish that each student at Forest Grove High School could participate in Unified Sports, or in any of the Special Education classes offered at our school. You can feel the different mood that the participants generate, and I guarantee that if you come with a positive attitude, you will leave a better and happier person.

We all have our own struggles. Although we are aware that others experience some of the same difficulties as us, we may occasionally act insensitive towards them or treat them harshly. (These unkind reactions often resulting from our own insecurities, stress, or problems.) Communities need a organization, or some unifying force to bring them together, and to create a mutual sense of respect, understanding, and acceptance. That organization is Special Olympics. It truly is a inspirational, influential, unifying program. It doesn’t matter how you may view yourself, or what your stereotypical reputation may be. When you participate in or support the Special Olympics program, you will also be treated as a valued person, and seen for who you truly are. When you feel that respect, that joy, and become friends with the participants, you will grow closer to them and your community. You will be more willing to view ideas from different perspectives, learn to develop sympathy for others, and will have a community to support you in times of need.

I offer my respect and gratitude to each supporter, leader, affiliate, and participant of the Special Olympics Program. You are changing the world, and you don’t even know it. Congratulations to all Forest Grove High School staff and students who have helped our school achieve this award. I hope to see our high school’s name on the Special Olympics Banner School list for many more years.