College Visit: The University of Chicago

Maggie Hatt, Editor in Chief

The University of Chicago

Location: Hyde Park, Chicago

Enrollment: 5,941

Acceptance Rate: 7.9%

ACT: 32-35

Tuition: $50,997

Athletics: Division 3

Mascot: Phoenix

Colors: Maroon & grey

UChicago Website

The University of Chicago, in the Hyde Park neighborhood just outside of Chicago proper, is a campus reminiscent of Hogwarts with its beautiful brick buildings and their castle-like turrets, but also somehow evocative of a futuristic society with it’s updated Mansueto Library (featured in the film ‘Divergent’ that came out in 2014). UChicago is a private university that boasts more than 90 nobel laureates, and lots of unique traits- including a building designed to be safe from a zombie apocalypse. Another tradition at the University is called Scav: an annual scavenger hunt where students band together to create and find different items, or perform outrageous tasks such as a Walu-Ouija board and churro fencing, respectively. (See the link below for the entire 2017 Scav handbook, straight from The University of Chicago Scavenger Hunt Organization Committee.) While visiting UChicago, I learned that students are put into a rigorous academic environment where they take a core curriculum over the course of four years. While this might make it sound like a liberal arts school, UChicago is actually a research school that has managed to capture the best of both worlds. All students are required to take a civilizations class to meet one of the core requirements, but the cool thing is that students can study ancient Rome in Rome during that semester. The school has a student-to-faculty ratio of 6-to-1, and ninety percent of classes are taught by professors- rather than graduate students. Another great thing about the school is that when you apply you don’t have to apply specifically to the engineering or pre-med program- so, if you’re undecided this is a great option. You will work with an advisor to come up with a class schedule that helps you meet the core requirements, while also helping you hone in on what you want to major in and eventually pursue. Their job placement program is also wonderful; there is a department called University of Chicago Careers In…and they will help you find a job or internship within your field. Access to downtown Chicago is easy- just a 40 minute bus ride and you’ll be in the heart of the city. As of 2016, all students are given a public transportation pass so they don’t have to worry about getting around. The campus is lush and green, yet modern and city-like, they have wonderful academic programs, and lots of student activities. This school would be perfect for someone who likes larger cities, prefers a slightly smaller school, and wants the best of both liberal arts and research schools.

2017 Scav handbook: http://scavhunt.uchicago.edu/lists/list2017.pdf