Mens Cross Country 2016

Riley Stewart, Guest Writer

Men’s cross country is off to an action-packed start, full of twists, turns, and finishes of epic proportion. For 15-30 minutes you can witness the most exciting sport ever created. On October 5th, the Vikings hosted a dual meet at NAMS, which the girls won.

At the few meets that the team has run, The “Stormin” Normans have already proven to be an impressive combination. Max ran an astounding race at Northwest Classic placing 4th and running a 15:55.4, which is an outdoor personal record for him. Quincy also ran very well, placing 6th and running a PR of 16:01.4 (The new freshman record). At their next meet, the Normans sacrificed their times on fast course to pace the rest of the varsity team. They were able to help Hyrum Hansen finally run sub 17, a PR by 16.9 seconds. They also helped all of the other varsity runners get lifetime PR’s. This year the men have a very strong team and are hoping to perform very well at state.

Here is an interview with senior and runner David Thacker:

Who is your biggest inspiration? Lance Armstrong.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? I want to be a world class triathlete.

What is your  team goal this season? To win districts and place 4th at state.

What’s your plan after the cross country season is over? To run a marathon during winter training.

Do you participate in any other curricular activities? I do Youth Cross Country, triathlons, and NHS.

Tell me more about Youth Cross Country:  It’s a great program that gets young kids excited for high school cross country.