Year in Review Student Interviews

Sergio Bucio

Screenshot 2016-05-31 at 9.10.48 AMLuis Morales – Senior

On a range from 1 to 10, what would you rate this school year?

I rate this school year, a solid 8/10

What was your most challenging part of this school year?

Hardest part was getting all of my assignments done. Especially with all the requirements to graduate, such as senior projects.

What was the most enjoyable activity or event you did this school year?

The most enjoyable activity had to be, winter formal for me since I was a photographer.

What are your goals for the following school year?

Boot camp where i’ll be my following school year, So my only goal for that, is surviving.

The following questions apply to seniors

Which was your hardest year of high school ?

I think the hardest year for me from my high school career was my sophomore year.

How do you believe that high school has prepared you for your life after high school ?

Forest Grove High School has prepared me for life afterwards simply by offering such diverse amounts of classes and having such a huge spectrum of activities. But the reality of it is, that the high school and a majority of high school’s fail towards preparing students for life after high school since they don’t offer important real life courses such as implementing the roles of taxes, loans, etc as opposed to so many art classes creativity is important, but it’s not necessary.

What do you rate your high school experience? 1-10?

I’d give it a solid 7/10,  A better rating than Captain America : Civil War

Any last minute motivation for future students at Forest Grove High School?

The one and only thing I want other students to realize and hopefully become inspired by, is that failure is not defined by messing up, It’s defined by giving up.

Screenshot 2016-05-31 at 9.11.16 AMRachel Kang – Senior

On a range from 1 to 10, what would you rate this school year:

I would rate this year a 10/10 because I was finally able to find what type of student I was, which helped me succeed in the classroom as well as finding extracurricular activities, such as music and NHS, that I was passionate about which led to great new friendships.

What was your most challenging part of this school year:

The most challenging part of this school year was trying to balance school work with applying for colleges and scholarships. Applying for colleges and scholarships take lots of energy and effort, so procrastinating the first few made for some rough weeks when I would have homework and projects due, but I had to write an essay for a certain scholarships at the same time. 

What did you learn from this year that will help you improve next year:

I learned to be confident as the person I am, which will help me next year as I go to college with so many options for what I can do. The confidence I’ve gained in myself will help me find my element in college. At least I hope so.

What was the most fun activity or event you did this school year: 

The fall musical. I really enjoyed being able to share my love of music through my talents and met some of my best friends through it. 

What are your goals for the following school year:

My goals for next year are to have a 4.0 and not be a starving college student. 

Which was your hardest year of high school:

My hardest year of high school was definitely my sophomore year. I didn’t really understand how to advocate for myself with my teachers, so when I wasn’t doing well in a class I would just try to ignore the problem until the end of the semester, which led to some of my lowest grades. 

How do you believe high school has prepared you for your life after high school:

High school has prepared me for my life in the future by teaching me to appreciate the differences that we all have and view them as strengths rather than faults. It has helped me work better with people with whom I wouldn’t necessarily lean towards initially, which will definitely help me as I pursue a career. 

What do you rate your high school experience:

I would rate my high school experience a 7. I’ve had some awesome friends, amazing and dedicated teachers, and I’ve really been able to learn a lot about myself as a student and as a person, which is probably more valuable than anything else. 

Last minute motivation:

Learning to balance activities and school and life is key. Also don’t be afraid to push yourself with that class that may seem daunting, because it’ll probably become one of your favorite classes if you’re willing to put in the effort.

Screenshot 2016-05-31 at 9.12.28 AMEsperanza Martinez – Junior

I would probably range this school year a 6 out of 10 because of all the negative actions some students have been making and the amount of racial things you hear since the presidential campaigns.

The most challenging part of this school year has to be the amount of pressure I’ve been putting on myself that has only resulted in stressing me out even more!

What did you learn from this year that will help you improve next year?

This year has really taught me to chill out and not put a lot of pressure on myself for next year and to measure our how much I can really take

The most enjoyable or most memorable event I participated in this year has to probably be the stand up FG rally because it showed unity in the school that was seen and heard by many around Oregon and other states of the United States. It was able to show the problem that has been going around but hasn’t been fully acknowledged as a real problem that many deal with on a daily basis.

My goals for the following year, probably is to enjoy the last year in high school with the best of memories with high quality friends. The class of 2017 will be remembered throughout he years to come.

Screenshot 2016-05-31 at 9.13.19 AM.pngJonathan Alvarez – Junior

A solid 6

Definitely my outdoor school week trip was great and I had lots of fun but it was very challenging to get back on track and recover my grades since I did leave for a whole week and missed out on a lot.

Learn to be organized and structure of daily life, and looking at which has a higher priority and importance for each activity.

The walkout was an amazing experience because it was the beginning of something great, and also the outdoor school week, it built my character and help me find my inner leadership skills through meeting people from all around the state, that helped me understand people from different environments.

Maintain a 3.5 GPA  and focus on the science classes that are offered people in Forest Grove High School, applying to my dream and reach schools so that I can see where I stand and also getting my senior project done!

Rocio Reyes – Sophomore

I would have to say a 5 because there was a lot of problems going on at school and fights but it was not all that bad there was some good things like the #ItEndsWithMe assembly.

The most challenging part of this school year was getting used to the freshmen because since they were new to school they didn’t really know how things were and always crowded the hallways.

I’ve learned that a lot of people from school are different and that’s good but other students don’t understand that or have a hard time understanding that and I hope that next year with all the new freshmen I can help them understand that being different is good and help them see how we are all the same no matter what the language is that we speak or the gender we identify with, culture, sexual preference, etc.

The most enjoyable activity I participated in this school year was staying after school for the CLC program because not only did I get to hang out with friends but I also had someone that helped me out with any assignments that I didn’t understand.

One of my goals for the following school year is to do good in school for example, to have good grades and not slack on school work.

Screenshot 2016-05-31 at 9.14.12 AMDiego Gaspar – Sophomore

A solid 7

The most challenging thing this school year was losing against the 25th ranked team in the state on the first round of playoffs in soccer when we were in 8th rank!

I learned to do all my work all on time and not wait until the day before to do everything.

Homecoming was very fun in my opinion.

My goals next year are probably to sign up for a college with my sport which is soccer and also to do good in our soccer season in high school. Also try to reach close to a 4.

Screenshot 2016-06-01 at 11.37.50 AM.pngKayhan Karmi – Freshman

I would rate this school year an 8

The most challenging part of this school year for me was probably when I had to study really hard for my AP test cause it was my first AP test and I was really nervous for it. The reason it was hard was because when I was studying it made me get even more nervous for the test.

What I learned was to not procrastinate and to not cram

For me it was probably winter formal because I was with all of my friends and we laughed and had fun

My goal next year is to take 2 AP classes and still average more than a 3.5 GPA

The next question applies to freshman only,

How different would you describe your transition from middle school to high school?

The main difference was that in middle school you never get any homework but in high school you get a lot. Also in high school there are way more activities than there is in middle school

Screenshot 2016-06-01 at 11.37.59 AM.pngCarmen Bruno – Freshman

I would rate the school year a solid 6, freshman year seemed to be as lame as I expected but was fun at some times.

I think the most challenging part of the school year was taking an AP class but I’m glad I challenged myself and got engaged in the class. I’ll definitely be applying it next year in whatever AP course I choose to take!

Next school year I want to get involved in a club, I want to challenge myself even more and I’m looking forward to ASB!  

The funnest activity I did has to be homecoming cause I really enjoyed myself and it’s a good memory that I’ll remember throughout high school.

I want to challenge myself by taking another AP Class!

The next question applies to freshmen only,

As a freshman it was a little intimidating coming into such a huge school but I quickly adjusted as I soon kind of I found my friend group. It wasn’t too difficult for me because I had been sort of prepped by my older friends and family but it can be pretty stressful feeling that out of place when you first get to high school.