The Advocate

The Student News Site of Forest Grove High School

The Advocate

The Advocate

Becky G
Becky G
April 15, 2024

The 5; A Zombie Story

Part Five

Link To Image

(Echo)

Echo nodded in agreement with Zara’s proposal. The group had faced numerous challenges together, and now, as they stared into the uncertain future, decisions had to be made for the greater good. The group brought Nyx-21 and Onyx-7 into the circle, and their expressions reflected a mix of hope and apprehension.

“We have a tradition here,” Echo began, addressing the newcomers. “Survival is our top priority, and trust is earned,” Echo said as he began addressing the newcomers. “Before you become a part of our keep list, you’ll need to prove yourselves. Nyx and Onyx, prepare yourselves for a journey filled with a series of rigorous tests, meticulously designed to assess your abilities, flexibility, and unwavering commitment to our collective,” The air crackles with anticipation as you step into the testing grounds, the scent of determination and adrenaline permeating the atmosphere. The sound of distant whispers and the occasional clinking of equipment echoes in the background, heightening the tension. “Stay focused, for these trials will reveal the depths of your skills, the extent of your adaptability, and the true measure of your loyalty to our esteemed group.”

Nyx and Onyx exchanged glances, understanding the gravity of the situation. They had heard about the group’s keep list, a select few who shared resources, responsibilities, and the bond of survival. This was an opportunity for them, but it came with a challenge.

The moon cast elongated shadows as the group moved to prepare the testing grounds. Maverick set up a course to assess Nyx’s stealth and trapping abilities, while Ember readied a makeshift shooting range to evaluate Onyx’s combat skills. The tension in the air was palpable as the group braced for the decisions that lay ahead.

The tests unfolded under the moonlit sky, each member watching with a critical eye. Nyx moved through the shadows like a ghost, setting traps with a precision that impressed even the seasoned survivors. Onyx handled firearms with the ease of someone who had spent years on the front lines, hitting targets with deadly accuracy.

As the tests concluded, Echo gathered the group once more. “Nyx-21, Onyx-7, you’ve proven your worth. Your skills will undoubtedly strengthen our chances of survival. However, the keep list is a pact we hold sacred. For you to join, we must make room.” 

The group exchanged somber glances, realizing the weight of the decision. Echo took a deep breath before speaking, “Maverick, Ember, thank you for your contributions to our survival. Your contributions to our survival will be remembered, and we won’t let your sacrifice be in vain.

Maverick and Ember nodded, accepting the reality of the situation. The keep list had protected them for so long, and now it evolved to ensure the group’s continued existence. The group embraced in a silent moment of unity, acknowledging the sacrifices made for the greater good.

As the moon hung low, casting its pale light over the survivors and the departed. The group forged ahead into the darkness, bound by a shared commitment to survival in a world where the line between the living and the dead blurred with each passing day.

The addition of Nyx-21 and Onyx-7 brought a dynamic shift to the group’s dynamics. As the survivors integrated the newcomers, they soon discovered that Nyx’s resourcefulness and stealth, combined with Onyx’s combat expertise, filled crucial gaps in their defenses. The once-tense atmosphere began to ease as the group adapted to their expanded ranks.

Days turned into weeks, and the survivors found themselves facing new challenges not just from the undead, but also from other groups vying for the scarce resources that remained. The keep list, now inclusive of Nyx and Onyx, worked tirelessly to fortify their shelter and expand their influence in the desolate world they called home.

However, the decision to drop Maverick and Ember from the keep list weighed heavily on everyone’s conscience. The memories of those they had lost lingered, a constant reminder that survival came at a cost. Zara, Phoenix, Nova, Nyx, Onyx, and Echo gathered for a solemn moment of reflection.

“We carry the burden of the choices we make,” Echo murmured, her eyes fixed on the horizon where the sun dipped below the undead-infested landscape. “Maverick and Ember were integral to our survival, and we honor their sacrifice every day. But we press on, not just for ourselves but for those who came before us.”

As they fortified their shelter, the survivors encountered a distress signal over the radio waves. The group of stranded survivors were trapped in a nearby building surrounded by a sea of undead. The decision to help was unanimous: the keep list had evolved into a symbol of hope, a beacon in the darkness, and they couldn’t turn their backs on those in need.

The rescue mission was treacherous, pushing the group to their limits. Nyx’s stealth allowed them to navigate the undead-infested streets undetected, while Onyx’s combat skills proved invaluable in clearing a path to the stranded survivors. The rescued group, grateful but wary, joined the keep list, adding more faces to the ever-growing family.

The shelter, once a modest refuge, expanded into a fortified community. Walls were reinforced, gardens cultivated, and shared responsibilities ensured everyone contributed to the group’s survival. The keep list became a symbol of unity, a testament to survival. T, the strength that emerged from sacrifice and tough choices.

Echo, ever the leader, stood at the heart of the community, her eyes filled with a mixture of pride and sadness. The world had changed, and so had they. The keep list was no longer just a list of names; it was a living testament to resilience and adaptability in the face of adversity.

As they looked toward an uncertain future, the survivors knew that the challenges would persist, and sacrifices would continue to be made. But in the darkness, they found a flicker of hope, a shared determination to defy the odds and rebuild a semblance of life in a world overrun by the undead. The keep list, once a mere survival strategy, had transformed into a symbol of their humanity in the face of an unforgiving apocalypse.