Real Magic Pt. 1

Image via Unsplash

Ava Rapport, Writer

Back in my day, there was magic. The real kind of magic, not the kind that comes from an incantation or a wand. It’s the shine in someone’s smile, the twinkle in their eyes, and the spark in their step as if they were the sun itself. That’s real magic. You understand, don’t you? Everyone knows someone like that, and you can’t help but envy ‘em for it, but you know how it is: it never lasts for long.

I knew a guy, back when I lived in Washington. I was fresh outta high school, went straight to college just like my mama always told me to do. I was studying to become a lawyer, ha! Can you imagine that? Anyway, I met this guy when I was in my Intro to Algebra class’ second day, when we started to do actual work. I was pretty lost, because math ain’t my best subject, y’know. Most of my other classmates weren’t doing too hot either, but this one was just sittin’ there next to me, jotting notes and bobbin’ his head along, carefree.

He noticed me looking over his shoulder, and glanced at my pathetic notes. He asked, “You need help or something?” but he didn’t give me that sorry look that everyone else always did. I was hesitant, as I wasn’t sure if I could trust this stranger. I nodded, though, because I really did need help, and he walked me through everything we were talking about during class after the class period ended. I also learned that his name was Jonah and that he was actually a tutor. He said that he’d be willing to take me on as a client.

Now, I know that doesn’t sound like much. Whoop dee doo, basic human kindness! How special! Hold on, though, because there’s more to the story. We met after class once a week for a while, and Jonah helped me with my math homework. We talked outside of the tutoring sessions too, and we talked about everything: our lives, and our hopes for the future. I asked him one time, “Why are you in Intro to Algebra anyway if you’re so good at math?”

Jonah shrugged, “I dunno. I just had a good feeling about it, I guess.” He smiled at me, that magical kind of smile, the one with the shining teeth and the twinkling eyes. I don’t know how he does it. “Maybe it was because that’s how I met you.”

I swatted his arm and laughed, “You dork!” I didn’t think much of that comment at the time. Now, I’m guessing that he was probably flirting with me or something. I don’t know, that stuff’s confusing. He didn’t say anything like that again for a while.

As time went by, we got to know each other more. Jonah wanted to become a teacher after he graduated, and he said that he hadn’t decided what kind yet, but that he was considering teaching either history or science. He was great at both. I told him that I was here to become a lawyer, but that I didn’t think that I’d be any good at lawyering. I barely passed my classes in the first semester, except for math, which I had a B in thanks to Jonah’s help. I wasn’t even sure what I wanted to be anymore. “Well, what would you rather do instead?” He asked. “It’s nowhere near too late to change your major!”

I didn’t give him a meaningful answer, just an “I don’t know.” I wish that I knew what I wanted to do with my life as he did, but even now I’m unsure. I will tell you that I never became a lawyer, though. I knew that much, at least.

What’s the point of this story, you ask? What, is an old fart not allowed to reminisce? Fine then, but you’ll have to wait, it’s getting late and you need to get your rest. No, eight o’clock is not too early to go to bed! You can hear the rest of the story in the morning.