College vs Job Corps

(Image via Wikimedia Commons)

Grace Hertel, Writer

This article is all about College vs Job Corps. Remember I am trying to make this article as unbiased as possible, so if you are choosing soon this can just help with how much you know about the topics it’s not telling you which to choose. Four aspects will be talked about. First off will be your future career. The second will be your family. Third, we will have the money side of things. Fourth up is commitment. So let’s hop right in.

Your future career or job is a very important thing in your life. In college, your options are a little more diverse. You can get higher-paying jobs if you go to college versus if you went through the job corps training. Job Corps training does not offer that high of career opportunities. It’s a lot more like you are getting more training than if you hopped right into the jobs. You also have a better chance of getting the job when you interview. If you don’t even have a high school diploma you can get that at your local job corps. Your future career is not the only aspect that should determine your path

Your family has a big impact on your life no matter who you consider family. With college, if you live on campus, which you have to do your first year you can contact your family and friends, but unless it is on a break or they live close by you can’t visit them. This could affect you positively or negatively depending on you. Job Corps offers childcare while you are in class. You also can live at home with your family and get free transportation to and from the campus. Not all job corps offer these things, but many do. Family may be a bigger aspect in your decision making or you may deem it unimportant. 

Money has maybe the greatest impact on this world. I mean it impacts everything from food to politics, even daily chores sometimes. College costs money to go to and you don’t get very many benefits depending on which college you go to. You can get scholarships and loans though. In the long run, though, your job could pay a lot of money. Job corps is all governmentally funded, so it doesn’t cost any money and provides you with health care, lunch allowance, clothes for training, all your books and supplies for training, and a living allowance. In the long run, though you do not get as high paying jobs compared to if you went to college. So it depends on you and what’s going on in your life financially. 

Commitment depends on the person the most. A person may have lots of commitment or almost none. Maybe they are very committed to something but not to another. College has very little commitment. You just gotta keep paying and going to your classes and don’t fail your classes. You can quit your schooling at any time or switch degrees. You do have to commit to paying your loans if you have them. Job corps do not have much commitment, you can quit at any time, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You aren’t paying anything, so there is no commitment to the money aspect. So commitment doesn’t come into play here.

These topics and points are here to help you choose, not to persuade you to go a certain way it’s all up to you. Each person is unique so they are each going to have a path that is right for them.