Artist Profile: Lil Peep

(Image via DJ Write Happy Blog)

Bella Lewis, Writer

Gustav (Gus) Elijah Åhr, professionally known by his stage name Lil Peep, paved the way in emo-rap and pop culture as a whole. He has changed and saved the lives of people all over the world with his unique way of communicating pain and emotion through music. And his legacy continues to this day.

Born November 1st, 1996 in Allentown, Pennsylvania, Gustav spent most of his time growing up in Long Beach, New York. He dropped out of high school to earn his diploma through online classes. While he attended school, he received good grades and made the dean’s list the semester he attended college. Åhr, like most other people, was drawn to music. Gus wanted to make his mark in the world of global art. Gustav’s mother, Liza, had called him “Peep” all his life, thus giving birth to the name Lil Peep. He got his first tattoo, a broken heart under his left eye as a reminder and motivation to follow his dream.

He moved to Los Angeles in 2014, going in and out of homelessness on Skid Row. Åhr’s dream really came to life when he met Florida rappers Craig Xen, GHOSTEMANE, and the Memphis producer JGRXXN (pronounced JGREEN). Together they started the collective Schemaposse. In the short time following, Lil Peep released his first mixtape in 2015: Lil Peep: Part One, following the release of his first EP Feelz, and another mixtape Live Forever. After the departure of Schemaposse, Peep joined the rap collective GothBoiClique. There he released two more mixtapes, his biggest break Crybaby and HELLBOY in 2016. With the millions of listens his music acquired, he went on to his first solo tour in the United States, “The Lil Peep Show”.

The end of that tour led Gus to migrate to the UK, after an upshot with GothBoiClique. While in London, Peep recorded Come Over When You’re Sober(Pt. 1), Come Over When Over You’re Sober(Pt. 2), and Goth Angel Sinner, which started his first world tour in September 2017. The tour abruptly ended in November when the rapper was found dead in his tour bus in Arizona due to an accidental Xanax and Fentanyl overdose.

His death sent a shock through the world, in response, fans, artists, and critics’ messages and tributes overflowed. The late rapper got recognition and gained more popularity by many people following his passing. This paved the way for his song “Awful Things” featuring Lil Tracy, to be placed on the Billboard Hot 100.

The story of Gus’s life continues today as more and more people listen to his music each year. As well as the efforts of Liza, his mother, and best friend, oversees the release of her son’s post-mortem songs and mixtapes. And the documentary, Lil Peep: Everybody’s Everything, that was brought to Netflix in 2019, explores his life and legacy and captures who he was and how he changed the world.

For the short time he was alive, Lil Peep left a scar in today’s emo-rap and pop culture. The artist has changed and saved lives of those who listen to his music.  The continuation of his legacy will live on for many years to come.