10 Reasons Why You Should Study Abroad

(Image via The College Investor)

Lina Braun, Writer

1. Studying abroad is the best way to learn a language

The most quick and effective way to learn a language is to live in a country where people speak the language. Learning another language gives you the ability to step into another culture. As globalization brings the world together, it is important to be competent in more than one language because it also opens up your prospective. Another benefit of speaking more languages is that it is easier to connect with other people and make friends.

2. Studying abroad allows you to get to know another culture

Cultural differences are more than differences in language, food, personal habits or appearances. You’ll gain an understanding of this that cannot be taught with books or movies. To know another culture is a great way to understand other people and their decisions because a person’s culture reflects deep perceptions, beliefs, and values that influence their way of life. 

3. Studying abroad gives you skills which you will never get in the classroom

Study abroad gives you the opportunity to develop your strengths and abilities, conquer new challenges, and solve new problems. You will encounter situations that are unfamiliar to you and will learn to adapt and respond in different ways. Even though you don’t realize it, traveling always changes the way you think and makes you more adaptable and flexible. Studying abroad amplifies this because you almost always study abroad for a longer span of time than you travel or take a vacation. You learn to navigate a new school, city, country, and social situations. 

4. Studying abroad creates the opportunity to make friends around the world

While abroad, sometimes already before, you will meet not only natives to the culture in which you are studying, but also other international students who are as far from home as yourself. You may not love every single person you meet, but chances are that you’ll meet at least one lifelong friend. People around you also influence a lot your experience abroad. 

5. Studying abroad expands your worldview

After your year you will have another view about the world. Going abroad will affect every aspect of your life and allow you to truly increase your cultural intelligence on a totally different level. Studying abroad gives you a deeper intercultural understanding. You are a global citizen. 

6. Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to break out of your (academic) routine

Studying abroad is likely to be much unlike what you are used to doing as a student. You may become familiar with an entirely new academic system and you will have the chance to take courses not offered on your home school. It’s also a great opportunity to break up the monotony of the routine you follow year after year. 

7. Studying abroad challenges you (emotionally and academically)

Living in another country where they speak another language and have a different culture and simultaneously balancing school, adventures, and a social life? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. Who doesn’t love a little challenge? Whatever you choose, you will be challenged. But challenge means growth, through these experiences you learn more and be prepared for the future. 

8. Studying abroad makes you more independent

While most students have already been away from home for a while by the time they study abroad, going alone the first time in another country they may find themselves truly alone in a new setting. In that sense, studying abroad forces you to leave your comfort zone and learn to start a new life on your own in a foreign place.

9. Studying abroad helps you to learn more about yourself

Students who study abroad keep automatically occupied with their own country and culture. They return home with new ideas and perspectives about themselves and their own culture. The experience abroad often challenges them to reconsider their own beliefs and values. The experience may perhaps strengthen those values or it may cause students to alter or abandon them and embrace new concepts and perceptions. The encounter with other cultures enables students to see their own culture through new eyes. Also, you will appreciate your own country and your culture more than before.

10. Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience

Study abroad is a special experience and you will forever remember this time. You get to know a lot about other another culture and learn another language. You will make new friends and also you will learn more about yourself. It is a beneficial and life-changing experience.

Studying abroad shapes who you are and how you view the world. These are just some of the amazing reasons why you should study abroad, but you’re sure to discover your own once you’re abroad. If you have the opportunity to go to another country, seize the chance and don’t look back. For me personally, it was the best decision.