Fridays for Future

(Image via Sierra Club)

Lina Braun, Writer

What are Fridays for Future? What do they stand for? Who is behind this organization? What have the strikes already achieved?

Fridays for Future is an international movement founded in August 2018 by 16-year-old Swede, Greta Thunberg. Every Friday during school, Fridays for Future (FFF) protests for a change in politics and society in relation to the climate crisis in which we find ourselves in. FFF wants to reach the compliance of the 1.5-degree Celsius (34.7-degree Fahrenheit) target, as agreed by many countries in Paris in 2015.

Students are walking out of school and going on climate strike because there is no debate among climate scientists that human generated carbon pollution is the primary reason for global warming. There are already signs of climate change in natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, heat waves, and droughts which are destroying lives and communities across the world. Climate change is already a deathly reality.

Although Fridays for Future claims that they are autonomous, you can connect it to the Plant-for-the-Planet foundation. The Plant-for-the-Planet’s executive board is Frithjof Finkbeiner, who is also vice-president of Club of Rome. The Club of Rome is a rich club that’s against capitalism and is for communism. The organization has been pushing ahead with the project “Climate Strikes of Students” for some time. Finkbeiner is the co-founder and chairman of the Global Marshal Plan Foundation and Global Contract Foundation and Chairman of the Board of the Desertec Foundation. All these organizations make their money from the fear of climate change, which in other words means that they get their money from people who are trying to create  change for the planets’ future for the better.

The FFF movement has brought more attention to the issue through the weekly strikes and projects and discussions, which has resulted in more people thinking about climate change, its consequences, and what can be done about it. You might be asking yourself, but why during school and not after school? Well, students are going on strike during school because it is illegal to be unexcused, attracting a lot of attention. The argument of many strikers is: Why should we be studying for a future that soon may be no more, when no one is doing anything to save that future?

Fridays for Future is a movement that has attracted attention to one of the most important issues, climate change. The movement has impacted our society. If you decide to protest for policies against climate change, you should live environmentally consciously. If every human being were to start first with themselves, we would all be one step further. Everyone should be aware, regardless of how you decide what consequences it has for you, because it also takes a toll on the environment and other people, because every action has a consequence!