Sexual Harassment at FGHS

(Image via KOIN)

Alondra Pineda and Jennifer Campos

Over the last decades, sexual harassment has been an issue at Forest Grove High School and usually, nothing would be done to help victims along with nothing being done to the assaulter. Recently the issue has been brought attention to the students here at FGHS. With this issue being brought up, there are also some accusations towards the Forest Grove High School, about how they handle sexual harassment. Now, students are demanding change. There has been a walkout and a discussion in the cafeteria about this issue. Students also talked about what changes could be made to make students feel more comfortable and safe in this school. 

Many statements were made in the cafeteria as to what the consequences of sexual harassment may be. Many students spoke up about the situation that has been happening for a while and demanded that there should be serious consequences for male athletes involved and the others as well. Students also stated that they wanted the “no contact contract” to stop being their solution for this issue. They found that the contract was not a severe enough consequence for the students accused of the harassment. Students claimed that their voices were silenced and couldn’t talk about this issue because they felt they might get in trouble for speaking up in what they believe in.

The students from FGHS arranged a walkout on Thursday the 31st of October to walk to the Forest Grove School District. This walkout was inviting students who were victims of sexual harassment/assault and people who wanted to show support to those victims. The walkout was intended to have the voices of the students heard and create changes. When students arrived at the FG School District, there was a circle of chairs so students could sit down and discuss their opinions, stories, and just have a voice in general. Students talked about what’s been going on at the school about sexual harassment/assault and how little to nothing would be done to help the situation. Students also talked about how the way they handle this issue is not the best and shared ideas on what could make the school feel safer and more comfortable for students facing this problem. Some students also talked about how the school doesn’t teach us well enough about sexual assault/harassment, which is a huge problem. This is an issue because when students don’t have any information about who and where to go to when they’re facing this issue, they’ll end up not telling anyone at all. So with this being said, students suggested the school teaches us more about the consequences of sexual harassment/assault and more important information about it, so the students and staff are more aware and have more knowledge about this topic.

Both the walkout and the meeting in the cafeteria were really helpful to see what the school was going to do, moving forward. This is a really sensitive topic that many should be aware of. It’s important to talk about this because the more importance we give this issue, the more we can do to help others. It may be hard for some to move on from this issue but many need to know that when you sexually harass someone, you are mentally scaring them. It’s not easy to move on and sexual harassment is not okay. No one should feel unsafe in school or anywhere else. You wouldn’t want it to happen to anyone that you love and care for. It’s better to learn to respect people and to not do something that might hurt you later on in life.