High School Isn’t Properly Preparing Us For the Real World

(Image via FA Solutions)

Josynn Fettig, Writer

Is what we students spend every day doing really preparing us for the real world? I do not know the for sure answer on that for I have not yet experienced it. But from what I think, no, it does not prepare us enough. 

I believe there aren’t enough classes to properly prepare students for what adult life has in store for us. Yes, there are electives like Culinary that allow us to learn cooking skills. Even some core classes like Math teaches us simple mathematical knowledge and English teaches us grammar and vocabulary. These are necessary however, some students are left in the dark about some other vital things. How do we pay taxes? What are efficient ways to manage money or how can I keep a good credit score? What even is a mortgage? Questions like these are what is left unanswered and are mainly put on the parents to teach their kids. Although, some parents aren’t eligible to show their kids how to do those things and a school environment is a perfect and easy way to show everyone how to go through these real-life situations. 

School classes should find strategies to teach subjects in ways that are applicable to their students’ lives. Students should always leave school with things they can apply to their life and not just a sheet of homework or tests. Sandra Carey states, “Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life,” which I one hundred percent agree with. Students aren’t learning how to really take in knowledge, they’re just learning how to pass classes, nothing meaningful.

In conclusion, I feel as though many students are leaving school unprepared for what is ahead of them. In high school, we need to be taught more applicable things and prepare the kids for adulting. As a student, do you think you would be properly prepared?