Truth or Dare (2017) Movie Review

Alondra Pineda, Writer

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

The movie Truth or Dare (2017) is about a group of college students who go to a house which is supposedly haunted by a spirit. This spirit takes control over the game truth or dare where the dares get out of hand and extremely dangerous. While playing this game, they try to outsmart the spirit, but it doesn’t work out too well, as most of the friends from the group end up dead. The movie then ends with the last two girls who are trying to stay alive crashing into a tree.

The trailer was something I enjoyed more than the movie, as the trailer showed how scary and gory it would be. It was a pretty good trailer, as it showed how interesting it would be and captivated me into wanting to watch it again even though it wasn’t that good. Something else I enjoyed about the movie was how there was supposed to be serious scenes but they ended up becoming funny. For example, there was a scene in the movie where they’re cutting off fingers and one of the girls goes to throw it in a cooler and when it lands in the cooler it made a plopping noise, it was just hilarious. There was another scene where they were fighting on who should do the dare next and one of the guys who wasn’t even in the conversation decided to say “Okay, I’ll do it! I’ll do it,” like if they were trying to force him to do the dare. I don’t know what about that is funny but I just found it funny.

The ending was just bad, just plain bad. The ending was so foolish, Alex shouldn’t have driven into the tree to try and kill her and Maddie. The way it ended, when Alex drove into the tree I assumed they would have died, but the screen went black and then both of them breathed and it ended. Plus the dare was for Alex to kill Maddie, and now that we know she’s still alive when the dare wanted her dead makes us wonder what’s going to happen next. The special effects could have been way better knowing this was made in 2017, where special effects hardly look fake. The blood and all the gore was great and looked pretty real, just the stuff not involving blood and gore was rather poor. The movie itself wasn’t as scary as the trailer shows, it definitely could have gotten to another level of scary. When you see a trailer for a movie that involves spirits, the creators of the movie should at least show an image of how the spirit looks like or even history about it. Lastly, the fact that there are only two things I like about the movie shows that this movie wasn’t the best it could have been.

Before watching Truth or Dare, know that the movie will not be the greatest and didn’t reach its full potential. This movie could have been massively popular than it is if the script, special effects, plot holes were improved better. On the ending note, I wouldn’t watch this movie to get afraid or scared, but more so to have a couple of laughs.