Blood Drive

Blood+Drive

Rain Wiggins, Writer

Have you ever thought about the importance of donating blood? Luckily, there will be a blood drive here at Forest Grove High School this year, and the year after that, and the year after that.  Giving blood is significantly powerful and helpful to those who need blood donations. Giving blood is a gift from you to someone in need!

Back in the day, proper balance of bodily fluids was the most important part of good health.  Blood was the key fluid to be in balance. When a person was sick, that would mean the bodily fluids were not in balance.  Before blood-giving needles, were invented, Egyptians would drain blood from an individual by cutting their arm, neck foot, or another part of their body.  This method is called “bloodletting”. Barbers would carry out this process with razor blades used for shaving.  

There are several reasons to give blood.  Many people need it during surgery, and others need it after an accident or they may have a disease that requires blood donations.  Sometimes, women with pregnancy problems could even use the blood you donate. There is a constant need for blood because blood can only be used for a short amount of time before it’s use.  

The Red Cross accepts blood donations from volunteer donors.  “Among Red Cross donors in a given year, 19 percent donate occasionally, 31 percent are first-time donors and 50 percent are regular, loyal donors.” Only 7 percent of the US has a blood type of O-negative which is known as the universal blood type.  The Red Cross requires you to be at least 16 years old, 110 pounds, and you have to be in good health and feeling well so before donating at all, make sure you’re eligible to.  

If you don’t think that donating your blood is significant, think about all of the lives you could save with just a little bit!  You could help so many lives with the blood you give. You can even improve your well being by donating blood. Some benefits would be that donating this blood could reduce stress, it could benefit your physical life, it could help get rid of negative feelings, and it could help your sense of belonging.  You have significance in your blood – literally.

Donating blood also helps your body with other things like lowering the risks of things like cancer, and heart disease!  In order to donate blood, you have to undergo a health screening and get checked up on things like your pulse, blood pressure, body temperature and hemoglobin (red protein responsible for transporting oxygen in the blood of vertebrates) levels.  This can give a little insight on how your body is doing.

Blood donating is generally a really safe thing to do.  There are no big risks of contracting diseases as new sterile equipment is used for each donor.  You may feel a little nauseous, lightheaded or even dizzy after donating but that’s completely normal.  You can lie with your feet up in the air for a little bit. Blood is one of the best things you can donate and it can make you feel amazing for helping someone.  Try it out some time!