Drag Night

Matthew Hampton, Arts & Entertainment Editor

On Friday, March 16, Forest Grove High School hosted it’s very first drag night, and it was a fabulous success. Put on by Ellie Vilhauer for her senior project, she went above and beyond to bring the art and culture of drag to FGHS, while being charitable to boot. Featuring six first-time queens doing various performances and a final group game, the audience for drag night was engrossed and enamored in the studio theater, where there were barely enough seats for all who came.

The proceeds of the evening went to SMYRC, or the Sexual and Gender Minority Youth Resource Center, a Portland-based organization that provides help and services to queer youth. Approximately $375 was raised by the queens, which will go toward giving help to LGBT kids and teens in the Portland area who need it.

Miss Vilhauer collaborated with fellow students Heather Monahan, Lillian Neidiver, Emily Rogers, Cora, Jordan Vanfleet, Iris Cebula, and Layla. Staff also helped out, specifically, Mrs. Murtaugh, Ms. McCune, Mrs. O’Neill, Ms. Davis, Mr. Garrett, Mr. Berdahl, and Mr. Anderberg. Featured in the show were Jordan Dinocenzo as Ziggy Czardust, Paden Merril as Connie Fur, Shayne Lowry as Cruel Ranch, Jacob Wilger as Weepin Willow, Ian Romig as Ursula Swanson, and Matthew Hampton as Carrie the One. Thanks to the efforts of all of these people, FGHS’ inaugural drag night was the talk of the school, and town, for the following weeks.

The queens did a variety of performances, ranging from lip syncing to a live band to stand up comedy to dancing, and it all culminated in a game popularized by the show “Rupaul’s Drag Race,” the Snatch Game. A parody of the Match Game, the audience was able to participate even more and was a great finale to an incredible and memorable showcase of charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent. Hopefully drag night becomes a tradition at Forest Grove High School; there is definitely a huge demand for more!