FGHS Fall Blood Drive- Success in More Than One Way

Matthew Hampton, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Every year the high school hosts at least one blood drive, and this year it took place on December 11, 2017. The Red Cross is always looking for blood donations, and our school has many brave and generous people to help the cause.

Karla Real Gonzales was the head organizer for the event, along with her committee in ASB. I had the chance to ask her some questions before the drive took place:

What made you want to be a part of the blood drive?

“I want to help out in the community by saving lives.”

Why do you think the blood drive is important?

“If we didn’t host blood drives, where would people in need get blood?”

What goes into planning and putting on the blood drive?

“A lot. You have to talk to the Red Cross, and get multiple permission forms to make this happen. You have to do sign ups, organize people, reserve the space, more than you would think, for sure. But at the end of the day, it’s all worth it because it’s such an important cause.”

As a member of ASB, I attended the blood drive, and while I wasn’t able to give blood myself, I was able to observe and help the students and Red Cross volunteers. The entire process was very streamlined, with multiple stations for blood testing, drawing, and recovering laid all throughout the Viking Gym. Students who donated blood could be in and out in as little as one class period, although many stayed for the tempting table of snacks to help with the recovery process.

Seeing students and some staff members taking time out of their schedule to donate blood to give to people that need it was very heartwarming to see, especially in the uncertain times we are currently in. In that way, the blood drive was a big success. A big thank you to everyone who participated in the blood drive to make it successful, whether you donated blood, or volunteered, your help is very appreciated!

The next blood drive will be held sometime in the spring of this year, so if you weren’t able to donate during this one, you still have a chance to make a difference and possibly help to save a life, so keep an eye out for details in the coming months.