How to Make Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home

(Image via CollegeXPress)

(Image via CollegeXPress)

Reed Cunningham, Writer

So you’re a senior and you’ve almost graduated. That’s a huge deal! If you’re going to college out of state or even far away from your hometown you might have made the choice to live on campus during your first terms. You’re probably on your own now for the first time ever! It can be hard to adjust to new surroundings, especially when you’re going through such a big transition in your life to young adulthood. Living on your own or with a roommate in a dorm can be nerve-wracking. Not knowing many people around you can be lonely and make you miss home as well. There are some ways to make your new dorm feel like a home away from home.

First things first, you have to pack your things. You can’t take everything with you when you move into a dorm because they are usually small and storage space is limited.

Keep sentimental items to a minimum, because while little things like photos and nick nacks can help you feel less homesick, they can really clutter up your new space. You also have to be mindful of if you have a roommate or not, and what it will be like to share a space with them.

One of the main things you can do to make your dorm room a better place to stay is to buy some simple furniture. It’s important to stay organized as your term in college goes on, so start with the basics. Little bookshelves or chairs that you can travel with or buy locally can give you a place to put homework and papers as well as give your room a personal flair.  Staying organized is important and can help once you get further into your studies. Setting aside a place to work and a place to rest is an important factor for feeling at home in your dorm as well. That being said, not everything in your room has to be a working space. Adding things like paintings on the walls or rugs can add color to the room since most dorm rooms are basic colors and built for functionality, not design. You’re also limited because you can’t make permanent changes, so try removable wallpaper as an alternative. If you’re feeling a bit claustrophobic in your small space adding mirrors to the walls can give the illusion of a more open room. Multi-use furniture like benches with space for storage can also add functionality as well as personality to your new dorm room. Another popular way that college students like to decorate is with string lights that come in many designs.

Cleaning your dorm room is also a good way to make it feel like home. Keeping your dorm room clean by vacuuming occasionally, sweeping, or dusting off the shelves at least once a week can have a very positive effect on your mental health as well as your relationship with your roommate. Talking to your roommate and deciding what chores you could share can also make living with another person more manageable.

Another factor to combat in small dorm rooms is different smells. You may not be able to burn candles or incense in your dorm room because of fire hazards but there are creative ways to get around that, like essential oil diffusers, air fresheners of all sorts, or even taping fabric softener sheets to a fan or AC unit. As always if you have a roommate you should run these ideas by them in case they’re sensitive to certain things.

All in all, keep in mind that your dorm room is your new home away from home, and doing some of these simple things can really help you love your learning environment, which will reflect in your studies. Feeling safe at the end of the day and enjoying the space you live in can greatly improve your college experience.